Things I Have Learned

Cadiz, Spain
As a young, barely 20 something kid still in college and kind of still under her parents thumb I have yet to make the brave leap into the world of doing what I really want.



This semester has been the hardest for me so far and not academically. I have never felt as lost as I have these past four months. In the end, I came out a stronger person and learn a few things along the way.

1.  Be you and do what makes you happy 


I started this semester lost in a sea of helplessness. I didn't know what I was going to do with my life. I had just failed basic algebra for the second time and the prospect of taking it again and then having to work my way up to calculus 2 was just unbearable. So what did I do? I set out in search of a new major and Mom convinced me I would be a good nurse. At the time it sounded reasonable, but three months into my new career path education I got the sinking feeling that I would be 25 standing in a hospital somewhere (hopefully Norway) and hate my job and probably my life. 

Makes you happy
I knew I needed to go back to geology and give an honest effort now that I knew without a doubt that I wanted to do it. The only problem was telling the family since Mom and Dad are paying for college. As you can probably imagine, they weren't too happy about it, but once I went through it all and told them I would still be graduating when we initially thought I would they weren't as opposed to the idea. 

Now as this semester is wrapping up I am getting prepped for this summer semester where I will be taking algebra for the third time. What's the difference now you ask? Now, I want to take math, chemistry and physics, whereas before they were just nuisance classes that were required. I have also come to terms with I will do whatever is necessary to walk the stage with a geology degree in hand.

Geology | Geology Picture of the Week, April 27-May 3, 2008: Giants Causeway ...
Source
So, to sum that all up, be true to who you are. Sure guidance from Mom and Dad is nice and almost needed as you start out in life, but make sure you are doing what you want to do and not what they want you to do. You are the one who will have to live this life, not them. 

2. Studying isn't the whole world


I always tell people that my hobbies include studying, homework, and going to class. In reality that is a pathetic excuse to be an introverted loser that hangs out all alone in their apartment. Yep, that was me this semester.

Leaving Cert Study Tips
Source

I have come to look at school and studying as a job. And like any other job there is a start time and a stop time. Now I look at it as work starts when my first class does, then I do homework and everything in between classes and have a set stop time. The only exception to the "rule" is when there is an exam and even then you shouldn't be too ridiculous with the studying (that mean's no more all nighters (not that I ever could do them anyway)). 

Get friends. Get a hobby. Join a club

This semester I got back into my photography, started SCUBA... again (another note: do your check out dive in that year so you don't have to take the class again), and started learning Norwegian. 

Basically, I learned that I needed a real life, with real friends (not that I had imaginary friends). 

4.  Money is everything


If you don't have money, you can't do anything or have fun. Get a job, but make sure the job understands that school comes first. I was fortunate enough to find a job that encourages studying in the down time (bonus!). Even if you can't find a job like that, you can't afford to not have one. 

Source

5.  I am an adult now


I have been living under my parents thumb for too long now. I am going to be 20 at the end of the month and it's time I change that. I recently told mom that I am going to save up for spring break to go to London next year by myself. What happened then? We got into an argument about how I can't do it because it is not safe. It's not like I'm going to go to the heart of Pakistan and traipse around saying, "America rules!" Sure there is some risk in travelling alone as a woman, but I've been following a few solo female travel blogs and nothing bad has happened to them yet. 

🎉18 years old🎈🎊🎁
Source
And guess what. I will be a few months shy of my 21st birthday, that means there is without a doubt that I am an adult and I can make a few of my own decisions. 


6. Stay Cool 

Don't be afraid to have fun! 

aw(:
Source


What have you learned in the past four months?