Why Spain is Calling Me Back

Plaza Mayor

Ever since going to Spain the summer between the end of my high school years and the start of my college adventure I have been dying to go back. My host family has been asking me to come for a visit for some time now and I have been dying to say,  "Yes, I'll be there next week." Unfortunately, obligations of my new adult life (a.k.a. class and work) have proven difficult to work around.


It hasn't been just my host family asking me to come back that has me itching to return. Ever since setting foot back on American soil I missed the, I guess you could say charm, that came along with being in Europe. I know, how very American of me to say that, but it's true. Spain has a certain charm about it that being in America just doesn't satisfy.

While there, I spent most of my time hanging out with my teacher and the other teachers that were chaperones because I was new to the being in a new country and honestly, I was a little bit scared. By the end, I was out exploring with the best of them.

Madrid

1.  The Culture 


I was hit with a little bit of culture shock at first, but quickly adjusted. I think a lot of the culture shock came from being in a large city, which is something I am not used to. I loved that when we were in Madrid, and all the other paces too, we would walk to where we wanted to go versus getting in a car or taxi, or in our case piling back onto the bus. 

The people were so friendly, except for that one creepy dude on the subway. Which of course I didn't realize he was creepy until later when everyone was like, "Did you see that one guy?" When we would ask for directions they would ask if we wanted to hear them in English or in Spanish. Señora would quickly cut in and say español. 


2.  The Food 


Need I say more?

We were fortunate enough to be able to go the worlds oldest restaurant according to the Guinness Book of World Records. It cost us a pretty penny too, but it was well worth it to say that you got to eat there and to taste the wonderful food. 

Even the salads we the best that I had ever had! I am not a sea food or tuna fan and the topping of choice seemed to be tuna, but even that didn't taste too fishy. The dressing was to die for. Not too creamy, well, not creamy at all considering you mixed it yourself with olive oil, some variety of vinegar and salt and pepper for some added taste. 

Even the food when I stayed with my host family was so yummy! When we were watching the Eurocup final for 2012 where Spain and Italy were facing off, they had this huge party. There was some meat, I can't remember what it was called, but I pulled the fat off it and one of the guys said, "Niki, Niki. Niki, that is the best part." It brings back good memories. 


3.  The Architecture 


Seeing buildings and aqueducts that are older than my country is simply amazing. To me at least. Especially considering that I am not from an area that has historical buildings. Sure there are a few old ones, but they just look old. I guess you could say they are missing the charm that the Spanish ones have.

4.  Friends


Above all, I want to see my friends again. 


Have you ever been to Spain? What is calling you to go there?